Monday, July 11, 2011

Empire dreser emergency rehab

I found this dresser a while back on Craigslist. Yes, I actually paid money for her :) She is a small three drawer Empire dresser which I believe (research has shown) was built in the late 1800s.

I was told she came from a 4 generation farm and had been stored in an outbuilding for years. Now this, I believe, is very true. Let me show you.




(like the nice finger in that one? ;)

With a little lot of elbow grease, some paint, wax and new handles, this little Empire dresser has been brought back to life:





Here she is in her temporary home in my shop waiting to go to her forever home :) The awesome thing about this beauty is that she has a stamp on the back that says she was made in Galveston. She either has never been far in life or she's been around the world and back again. I'm sure if she could talk there would be some amazing stories to be heard.



Go forth and live in color!

7 comments:

  1. It looks like you did a really good job restoring this piece. The colour you used was lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! What a nice job you've done to this piece!! REALLY pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutley stunning! I think I gasped at the after pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So gorgeous! Did you take off the veneer? You did a fabulous job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The veneer was being held on by the tiniest amount of glue. It was literally all loose so removing it was as simple as lifting it up (MUCH easier than other veneers I've removed!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe how great you've made it. Love the color and finish you gave it. What talent you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! You truly rescued this piece. If it was on my property, I am afraid I would have just thrown it away. Love the color, too! Thanks for sharing on SNS at Funky Junk.

    Jenny
    The Lavender Magnolia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...