Friday, August 12, 2011

UPDATE - foiled sofa table

You might remember a cheapo sofa table I redid a while back. No? Let me refresh your memory:


 After I faux silver leafed it (ie. aluminum foiled it), it looked like this:


One of my wonderful readers commented and asked if I was going to do some cool lettering on it like I had done on other pieces and it got my wheels turning.  I decided to go with a french/postal theme and now we have this:



I used a white chalk ink marker I got from Michael's and I also used my trusty black sharpie.  First I drew out all the postal images (thank you Graphics Fairy!) in the white chalk ink marker.  Then I sanded them all down to almost nothing and added some black to bring out the details.  Sanded it back down again then waxed with light wax.  That was enough to just make the images subtle on the top, but if it hadn't worked I was totally prepared to use dark wax all over the top to tone it down.




And, voila! It's finished now.  Going to the shop this weekend.  Simple and sophisticated.

Have a smashing weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Great job, Brandi! What is your aluminum foil technique...?? Sounds interesting! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you!

    @laurie - here's my basic how to:

    http://bluecedarlane.blogspot.com/2011/07/foiled-sofa-table.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it-The foil is wonderful! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...